[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Feb 3 13:45:06 EST 2014

On Monday 03 February 2014 13:28:36 Tim Fadden did opine:

> On 2/3/2014 4:29 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 03 February 2014 06:28:23 nickma at optusnet.com.au did opine:
> >> Ok, cool down. It's not quite what you think.آ آ  :)
> >>
> >> I was looking at the MIST FPGA system. An Atari ST/Amiga 500 FPGA
> >> system and I was wondering if the board, which is available for
> >> purchase, could be reprogrammed to be a CoCo3 and maybe become a
> >> CoCo4?
> >>
> >> The hardware is complete, the entire board is done and could be made
> >> to fit in a CoCo3 case. All that is needed is to reprogram the FPGA.
> >>
> >> Is this a more achievable "next gen" CoCo?
> >>
> >> Here is the URL:آ آ  http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96
> >>
> >> Nick
> >
> > Probably could be used that way, but whats that 195 euro's in USD?
> >
> > It comes across as capable, but quite pricy.

> > Cheers, Gene
>
> $263.15  They have a nice floppy emulator to bit ends up at $139, a bit
> steep.  I hope Coud-9 is something like it.
>
> Tim

I can't convince myself that I want to plow any new, and TBT, very fruitful
looking dirt.  Particularly at those prices.  My "spare" (insert laugh
track here) money nowadays tends to go into my cnc machine tools, like I
just bought 3 ea 8mm by 2.5mm 350mm long ball screws from a friend on the
linuxcnc list for USD50, and a bag of ball bearings about a thou bigger
which tightens up the backlash to almost zero, for a $10 bill on fleabay.
Thats 20 minute work per screw in replacing the balls, and about $18.
Today, from the Chinese, those 3 small screws are about $200.  So my mill,
when I get my back fixed will be at least 0.0005" precise then.  Thats
about 10x better than now.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.