[Coco] Emulating a 1980 4K CoCo on PC

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Dec 31 20:26:52 EST 2014

> On Dec 31, 2014, at 5:39 PM, Nick Marentes <nickma2 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> 1) Does XROAR support artifacting (red/blue) for CoCo1/2 games that use this (Zaxxon etc)?

Yes but they have a different name for it:

View -> Cross-colour -> None / Blue-red / Red-blue

There is likely a command-line option for this and maybe something for the .conf file too.

> 2) Does the 4K programming competition have to be designated for a 4K Color Basic system? Here is Australia, the standard system at the time was a 16K Extended Basic system. 4K Color Basic was available but those that bought this either quickly dumped their machine for something better or had it upgraded. When I think of the CoCo1, I think of 16K Extended Basic. I know many would not even have looked at the CoCo at this configuration and all the Tandy (Radio Shack) stores had 16 Extended as their store demo systems.

This one is specifically to challenge what people could have done in July 1980 after buying one from a Radio Shack.

> Should the competition be changed to a 16K Extended Basic competition?

I think this might be a good idea for a different challenge/category -- what was the first CoCo available in Australia? Candada? etc. Obviously, if they were late enough in the game to have 32K or 64K, then it's not really anything other than a generic CoCo programming callout. But that still could be fun -- kinda something we should have going annually.

--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sub-Etha Software - http://www.subethasoftware.com - Established 1990!

P.S. Since 4/15/14, I have earned OVER $600  in Amazon gift cards via Swagbucks! Use my link and I get credit:
http://swagbucks.com/refer/allenhuffman