[Coco] USB to RS232

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Dec 4 22:20:27 EST 2014

On Thursday 04 December 2014 20:18:37 George Ramsower did opine
And Gene did reply:
>   Okay, I know a USB port is RS232 but I'm curious if there is an
> adapter that takes the USB port on this PC and communicate with my Coco
> using the old, familiar to me, RS232 port.
>   For years, I've been able to transfer files back and forth from a PC,
> running Winderz to my Coco until the old "Com ports" seem to have
> vanished.

I'd imagine any of the usb to serial adapters could be made to work.  But
I'd get a bit pikity about the chips in the adapter, because generally
speaking, the prolific chips like to throw away the first byte on low use
circuits where they can be idle long enough to put themselves to sleep.

The FDTI offerings OTOH, I have never had a problem with as long as the
circuit runs +- 5% or so of a common baud rate.  The coco's bitbanger
usually needs tweaked with tuneport to hit it close enough.

They will all hand you a db9 connector, generally wired in the 7wire
protocol.  Adapting that to a db25 can probably be handled with another
adapter at your Texas local Radio Shack.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)