[Coco] USB to RS232

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 22:46:21 EST 2014

I use serial connections from a modern PC to with a number of
old computers, as well a number of newer projects, like the
single board computers and ECB / S100 bus projects in the N8VEM
group where the serial port is the console controlling the computer.

Though USB to RS-232 adapters often work, they also often don’t.
I had one that refused to work with drivewire.
I’ve found it’s easiest for me to use a PCI card that provides RS-232
ports on my modern desktop PC’s (this isn’t an option for laptops of course).

They work perfectly for these types connections and can be bought
cheaply on ebay.  I think I paid about $10 delivered from a vendor in Hong Kong
the last time I bought one.

- Ed