[Coco] USB to RS232

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 20:42:49 EST 2014

USB is serial, but it's nothing at all like rs232.  Luckily there are tons
of adapters available, I'd guess most people doing rs232 these days whether
for coco stuff, ham stuff, arduino stuff, robotics or otherwise are using a
usb to rs232 adapter.  You can find them online, at any computer shop, or
even most office supply stores.  Google "usb rs232" for more options than
youll want to look through.

The cheap sub $20 adapters are hit and miss, with lots of Chinese knockoffs
that may not work very well or at all.  Better to stick to a brand name.
Some people swear by adapters using "FTDI" chips inside.  Unfortunately
there are fake FTDI adapters (I've got one labeled FDTI that actually works
fine, buts thats obviously fake).  Safest is to purchase from somewhere you
can return easily if any issues.