[Coco] Really not understanding how to use DW

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Sep 30 10:30:36 EDT 2013

In my previous message, I said the instructions on the Nitros9 wiki for building Nitros9 with mingw in Windows worked, well.... Now they've (mingw) have messed that up.

I had messed up something in MinGW yesterday that was screwing with my paths and couldn't fix it. So this morning I deleted MinGW and Mercurial to do a fresh download and install.

When you click the link, you get the option to download the latest version and some subdirectories.
If you click the "latest version" the "new" installer GUI is invoked and the default install does not include the basic packages anymore. You must select them from the catalog. Since I don't know that much about mingw and what packages are needed, the instructions in the Nos9 wiki no longer apply. This installation will not even install a "MinGW Shell" icon for you to run it. It just installs the "MinGW Install" icon which takes you right back to the catalog. :-(
If I knew the proper packages to select, it would probably work ok, but....

BUT... if you click the:
mingw-get-inst-20120426
directory on the initial linked page instead, it takes you to another page where you can download the:
mingw-get-inst-20120426.exe
and the Nos9 wiki instructions work again. Just do not click the "latest version" link.

I guess now a list of "packages" is needed in the wiki or there will be another round of "I can't ..." and "How do you..." ;-(

And just when you thought it was safe to get back in the water...

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com