[Coco] Really not understanding how to use DW

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Sep 30 11:09:12 EDT 2013

On Monday 30 September 2013 10:47:24 Bill Pierce did opine:

> Aaron, the Download page at the repo site is pretty stable (right now)
> thanks to Tormod. Everything I've checked is booting properly, games
> run, programs load. There's only a couple of issues with something not
> building but the downloads are good. This new batch has quite a few
> small bug fixes such so it is desirable to change over.

So I did, ran my script to update my stuff, cleanest build ever.

> Since the old
> batch was buggy, I was using a 3.2.9 build that I found somewhere that
> was pre-lwtools and actually worked. It was dated 2008. We really need
> people with the different hadrware to check the builds for their
> machines to see if it works properly. I can verify the Coco 1 2 & 3,
> L1& L2, DW3, Floppy & Becker all boot properly and the files on the
> disks run fine. This is the best build I've seen in 3 years.
> Admittedly, the descriptions on the download page need a good looking
> at and maybe a few corrections.
>
> In running the "Build Nitros9 using mingw", "mercurial", "toolshed",
> "lwtools", "nitros9" instructions on the wiki all go smoothly now
> thanks to you and Tormod (sometimes it pays off to complain). I can do
> a fresh pull & make with only a couple of minor errors that are
> insignificant to Nitros9. All the "Error 216" and "Error 218" as well
> as the "Out of resources" errors are gone. There's an error in the
> DAlpha build for "padrom"
> PacOS9 errors and doesn't build (did it ever?)

I don't think it ever has for me.  Not being a "gamer" in that sense of the
word, I haven't nagged myself to look at it.

os9l2/bbs did not build, still has some mamou style code that errors out.

make[4]: Entering directory
`/opt/nitros9/3rdparty/packages/os9l2bbs/6809l2'
lwasm --6309 --format=os9 --
pragma=pcaspcr,nosymbolcase,condundefzero,undefextern,dollarnotlocal --
includedir=. --includedir=/opt/nitros9/defs -DNOS9VER=3 -DNOS9MAJ=2 -
DNOS9MIN=9 -DNOS9DBG=1 ../cmds/BBS.build.asm -oBBS.build
WARNING: IFP1 if is not supported; ignoring
../cmds/BBS.build.asm:00004            ifp1

ERROR: Byte overflow
../cmds/BBS.build.asm:00432            leax   <$FFE0,X
* 0483 30 88 E0       0.`

ERROR: Byte overflow
../cmds/BBS.build.asm:00443            leax   <$FFE0,X
* 049C 30 88 E0       0.`

make[4]: *** [BBS.build] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/opt/nitros9/3rdparty/packages/os9l2bbs/6809l2'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/nitros9/3rdparty/packages/os9l2bbs'
make[3]: Entering directory `/opt/nitros9/3rdparty/packages/pacos9'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `dskcopy'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/nitros9/3rdparty/packages/pacos9'

There are 4 or 5 copies of the above in my backtrace as the make tries to
build it every time it goes by.