[Coco] DriveWire is just a hobby (Was: DW4 on MAc & Linux)

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 13:17:07 EDT 2013

On Sep 26, 2013 12:29 PM, "Al Hartman" <alhartman6 at optonline.net> wrote:

> Aaron, the time you spend making the documentation useful saves you time
later having to answer the same questions over and over again.

In a fairy tale world, sure.  Reality is that every question I've answered
here lately is also already answered in the documentation.  Apparently the
time Cloud9 and I spent writing it was not well spent.

> I would not have had to ask a single question if the Documentation had
contained a listing of the files in the DRIVEWIRE.ZIP file, and a
description of what each file is/does.

I believe this information is available on Cloud 9s page.

> And, if it had a true, step-by-step instruction on bringing up a vanilla
Coco (1, 2 or 3) with a Vanilla Windows installation (or Mac, or Linux.)

> It's nice and glib to say that you don't care enough to put something out
that others can use, or that you do this for free and you would like to be
paid to do formally, what you do for free in replying to our messages on
this lit...

> My point is, if your time is valuable to you. By making the documentation
thorough and useable, you can say "RTFM" and conserve your time.

OK...  RTFM.  No further questions.

> I will gladly improve the manual. Send me the source for it. I'll add the
stuff on the web page that should be in the manual, but isn't as a start.

You'll need to sort out why you cannot browse to the wiki, but that is the
source.  Create or let me know the name of an existing sourceforge account
and I will give you editor access.

> Someone tell me what all the files are in the Drivewire.zip file, and
I'll make up a FILES.LST or README.TXT and add it to the file, and
re-upload it. Though, anyone who sends me an e-mail with that info has
already done 99% of the work.

The information on cloud 9s page would allow you to create such an index if
you still feel it would be helpful.

> The Drivewire 4 WIKI should have all the info the Cloud9 page has.

Tough call.  I did add a section that encourages users to visit the cloud9
page and explains what can be found there.  However, the drivewire 4
project does not produce ROMs or wavs or any of the stuff found on cloud9s
site, and the information there was written by c9.  If they are OK with us
copying it then we could, but it seems better to leave this where it is to
me.

> The answer that you only do what you feel like, and screw the users who
can't figure it out, is what keeps Drivewire from beginning users.

> Maybe you don't care if newbies use it. But, in truth, you wouldn't be
responding to our e-mails if you didn't care.

> You spend time fixing code. Why is fixing the documentation any different?

For one, because I like writing code.  I also try to take responsibility
for fixing my mistakes.

> It's a one-off task, that will return many times the amount of time spent
in not having to answer the same questions over and over.

> That's why I made all Zebra Systems documentation thorough... So, I could
spend more time doing what I liked rather than being on the phone answering
simple questions.

As a commercial developer, I can understand trying to reduce support costs
by providing very simple documentation.   Its good business sense.

As a guy who enjoys writing software to support his hobby and shares it
with other folks interested in similar pursuits... You're welcome for the
work I've done, but asking me to do even more seems inappropriate and a bit
rude.  Beggars, choosers, and that sort of thing.  Don't make my hobby
unfun.  Its not nice.