[Coco] DriveWire is just a hobby (Was: DW4 on MAc & Linux)

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Thu Sep 26 12:29:01 EDT 2013

Aaron, the time you spend making the documentation useful saves you time
later having to answer the same questions over and over again.

I would not have had to ask a single question if the Documentation had
contained a listing of the files in the DRIVEWIRE.ZIP file, and a
description of what each file is/does.

And, if it had a true, step-by-step instruction on bringing up a vanilla
Coco (1, 2 or 3) with a Vanilla Windows installation (or Mac, or Linux.)

It's nice and glib to say that you don't care enough to put something out
that others can use, or that you do this for free and you would like to be
paid to do formally, what you do for free in replying to our messages on
this lit...

My point is, if your time is valuable to you. By making the documentation
thorough and useable, you can say "RTFM" and conserve your time.

I will gladly improve the manual. Send me the source for it. I'll add the
stuff on the web page that should be in the manual, but isn't as a start.

Someone tell me what all the files are in the Drivewire.zip file, and I'll
make up a FILES.LST or README.TXT and add it to the file, and re-upload it.
Though, anyone who sends me an e-mail with that info has already done 99% of
the work.

The Drivewire 4 WIKI should have all the info the Cloud9 page has.

The answer that you only do what you feel like, and screw the users who
can't figure it out, is what keeps Drivewire from beginning users.

Maybe you don't care if newbies use it. But, in truth, you wouldn't be
responding to our e-mails if you didn't care.

You spend time fixing code. Why is fixing the documentation any different?

It's a one-off task, that will return many times the amount of time spent in
not having to answer the same questions over and over.

That's why I made all Zebra Systems documentation thorough... So, I could
spend more time doing what I liked rather than being on the phone answering
simple questions.

-[ Al ]-