[Coco] DriveWire is just a hobby (Was: DW4 on MAc & Linux)

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 11:58:13 EDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Al Hartman <alhartman6 at optonline.net> wrote:

>> When creating free software, there is little
>> motivation to do such things unless the author just enjoys doing it.
>> Most do not, myself included.  However, it is very common with open
>> source projects to find how-to and step by step guides created by
>> users who like doing that sort of thing.  When we are talking about
>> free software intended for use by hobbyists, it is difficult to
>> rationalize anyone doing anything that they don't enjoy.
>

> I don't mean to upset you, but in life one often has to do things one
> doesn't like.

All too true, and one of the reasons many of us enjoy hobbies.  My
hobbies generally do not include doing things I don't like doing.

> Especially to do a good job. If I'm doing something I expect others to use,
> I need
> to make the documentation as easy to understand and as useful as I can.
>
> That is as important as writing code that works.

It's not very important to me, after all, I already know how to use it
and I get nothing in return if other people use DriveWire.   I don't
expect or ask that other people use DriveWire, I simply share it so
they can if they'd like to.

I am not going to assume responsibility for fulfilling anyone's
definition of how things should be, I'm simply sharing the results of
the hundreds of hours I've put into this project.  If that is not
enough to satisfy someone, so be it.

If you feel DriveWire is not a "good job" because the documentation
doesn't meet your standards, by all means jump in and make the
documentation as you'd like it.  Take what we have and improve it to
be a "good job" in your view.  That is what open source is about.

If you don't want to contribute time to the project, there are other
options.  In exchange for my standard hourly rate, I am happy to work
on making anything anyway that you'd like it to be.  The decision to
share any work I do for you with the rest of the community would be
entirely your own.  You may want to ask on the list for others who
would also be willing to work on the project in exchange for
compensation.