[Coco] So, does anyone know where to get disk drives?

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 09:13:55 EDT 2013

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> this drive will format in 360k when jumpered to 300k
>
> As a blanket statement, that's Pure Fooey.
>
> The magnetic drive to the head ONLY changes when a QD disk is inserted in a
> QD drive.  The only physical difference is the width of the track in a 96
> tpi drive, is nominally 1/2 the width of the track that the 48 tpi (180k
> SS, 360k DS) drive uses.

Gene, how does a 5.25" drive perform media detection?  I know that 3.5"
HD media has an extra sensor knockout at the rear of the case, but I see
no obvious physical difference between a DD and HD 5.25" diskette.

I've always thought that density select was strictly managed by pulling a
line on the interface (i.e. the operating system's responsibility).

Steve