[Coco] So, does anyone know where to get disk drives?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Sep 2 13:10:46 EDT 2013

On Monday 02 September 2013 12:54:18 Steven Hirsch did opine:

> On Sun, 1 Sep 2013, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> this drive will format in 360k when jumpered to 300k
> >
> > As a blanket statement, that's Pure Fooey.
> >
> > The magnetic drive to the head ONLY changes when a QD disk is inserted
> > in a QD drive.  The only physical difference is the width of the
> > track in a 96 tpi drive, is nominally 1/2 the width of the track that
> > the 48 tpi (180k SS, 360k DS) drive uses.
>
> Gene, how does a 5.25" drive perform media detection?  I know that 3.5"
> HD media has an extra sensor knockout at the rear of the case, but I see
> no obvious physical difference between a DD and HD 5.25" diskette.
>
> I've always thought that density select was strictly managed by pulling
> a line on the interface (i.e. the operating system's responsibility).
>
> Steve

I don't believe there is one for the 5.25" diskette, the QD has another
notch opposite the write protect notch.  AFAIK there is no diff in the
magnetic characteristics between the 48tpi rated DD disk and the 96tpi
rated disk other than a more critical surface scan, probably done on 1 per
10,000 made basis.  But since I expect that the worlds supply of disks has
been made & we are just cleaning out warehouse's in Sechwan, none of the
currently available stuff has been subjected to even that close a look
unless its been preformatted to messydos FAT12 stds.  Even that isn't fool
proof, the verify read takes 3x the time that the format write takes, so
failed format disks are likely not recycled because the time consuming read
verify step was skipped.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Steal my cash, car and TV - but leave the computer!
		-- Soenke Lange <soenke at escher.north.de>
         law-abiding citizens.