[Coco] So, does anyone know where to get disk drives?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 1 23:24:23 EDT 2013

On Sunday 01 September 2013 23:05:03 Retro Canada did opine:

> only quad density drives using quad density medias can format in 720k.
>
> this drive will format in 360k when jumpered to 300k

As a blanket statement, that's Pure Fooey.

The magnetic drive to the head ONLY changes when a QD disk is inserted in a
QD drive.  The only physical difference is the width of the track in a 96
tpi drive, is nominally 1/2 the width of the track that the 48 tpi (180k
SS, 360k DS) drive uses.

I have worn out the heads on several of those drives.  From the Tandon
100-4 to the Teac 55GFR,  and have never in 25 years been forced to use a
QD marked disk in a 96 tpi 80 track "720k" drive.  Actually most will step
in to the 83rd or 84th track, and will do 765K if the 84th track doesn't
hit the spindle drive hub.

One such drive is in the drive tower behind the coco3 right now, but its
connector currently has a 3.5" adapter in the card edge connector, plugged
into a Mitsumi 3.5" drive.  With DD disks in it, the coco doesn't know the
difference.