[Coco] GCCC Dues

Melanie and John Mark Mobley johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com
Sat May 4 19:45:40 EDT 2013

Per Bob Swoger:

The Glenside Color Computer Club's bylaws state that dues shall be $15 a
year.  (Dues are usually lower if you attend the festival.  This year they
were included with the cost of admission.)  Dues used to be extremely
important because they paid for the cost of printing and mailing the
newsletter.  However we no longer print or mail the newsletter (it is sent
via email).  Today dues help to pay for things such as the website and
domain name, our festival, meeting space for the monthly business meetings,
our picnic, shipping and transportation costs of getting auction items to
the festival, supporting special projects (such as helping to restore
someone's BBS following a power surge or lightning strike), printing
T-shirts or coffee mugs for the CoCoFEST!, , flowers for an active member's
funeral, new bookshelves for the club library, etc.

You must be a member in good standing in order to vote or make a motion in
the business meeting.  An Individual Member shall be deemed to be in good
standing upon payment of the annual individual membership dues of the GCCC.
Any member who fails to pay dues to the GCCC shall be deemed to be not in
good standing and to have his or her membership lapsed and privileges
revoked until such time as the dues are paid.  The by-laws allow for
Honorary Membership.

Membership categories (as interpreted by JohnMark Mobley):

  Non-member

  Honorary member - Does not pay dues.  Can vote, can make a motion, and can
be elected to an office.

  Member in good standing - Can vote, can make a motion, and can be elected
to an office.

  Lapsed membership - Cannot vote, make a motion (during a business
meeting), or be elected to office.

  Suspended membership - temporarily banned from all GCCC functions.

  Canceled membership - permanently banned from all GCCC functions.

Constitution and by-laws:

Link: http://www.glensideccc.com/constitu.txt

Some will argue that this set of by-laws was superseded by a new set and we
lost that copy.  Therefore, in actual club practice, we follow the new rules
and you do not have to pay dues in order to be a member of the Glenside
Color Computer Club, Inc.  We certainly like for our members to pay their
dues, but we understand that not everyone is in a position to do this.  You
become a member by sending your name, address, phone number, and email
address to Bob Swoger at rswoger at aol.com .  If you choose to pay dues to
support the club and its functions, send a check for $15 (made out to
"Glenside Color Computer Club, Inc.", and with "dues" in the memo line) and
send it to:

George L Schneeweiss

13450 N 2700 E Road

Forrest IL 61741-9629

Bob Swoger reported that we have 839 members (not all living) and 163 of
them pay dues.

Please understand that we take a constitution very seriously; however, the
by-laws are somewhat less important.

The next business meeting is Thursday, May 9.  You may attend via Skype
using one of the following contacts: john.mark.mobley or robert.swoger, or
come in person to the Schaumburg Township District Library, 130 South
Roselle Road, Schaumburg, IL.  (The library is actually about 0.1 miles west
of Roselle Road.  From the intersection of Roselle Rd. & Schaumburg Rd., you
would turn west on Schaumburg Rd., go to Pleasant Dr., and turn south on
Pleasant Dr./Town Square Dr. to get to the library.)

Example motion that might be carried out at a meeting:

Tony: Is there any new business?

Allen: I make a motion that we make Steve Bjork's web page the primary web
page and the current web page the alternate.

Tony: We have a motion!  Do we have a second?

JohnMark: I second!

Tony: We have a motion and a second!  Is there any discussion?

Bob: I think we should add a caveat that Steve must add links first.

Allen: No!  We can use the alternate page to support links for now, and
Steve can add links later.

Tony: What should I do?

Christopher: Let's call for a vote on the original motion.

Tony: All those in favor of making Steve Bjork's web page the primary web
page signify by saying, aye!

Crowd: Aye!  Aye! Aye! Aye! Nay!

Tony: The motion carries.  The ayes have it.

John Mark Mobley