[Coco] XRoar Windows 8 64-Bit

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Sun Mar 10 10:40:50 EDT 2013

Louis Ciotti wrote:
> OK so every thing is clear on what I am doing:
> [...]
>
> 5)  The following will work ONLY if it is the only ROM in the XROAR
> directory (These are from my first source of ROMS):
>      Color Basic 1.1
>      Color Basic 1.2
>      Color Basic 1.3
>
> 6) With ROMS from a second source, (bas13.rom, extbas11.rom, and disk11.rom
> in the XROAR directory) no matter what command I type I get Disk Extended
> basic 1.1
>
> 7) If I remove Disk11.rom from directory extended basic 1.1 work, and if I
> remove extbas11.rom from directory color basic 1.3 works

I think I see from your description what's going on.

The way Tandy present the CoCo is as having basically three "levels"
of BASIC:

1. Colour BASIC
2. Extended Colour BASIC
3. Disk Extended Colour BASIC

For each "level", you need both that ROM, and all the ROMs from lower
"levels".  And of course each ROM has been through various versions.
So a disk system requires three different ROMs: BASIC, Extended and Disk.
But when you power on it only reports one.

XRoar by default tries to build a system of the highest "level", with
the highest versioned ROMs it can find (unless you specify a tape on the
command line, in which case it'll default to not enabling a disk system).

So the default, assuming all ROMs are there, is a Disk Extended Colour
BASIC 1.1 system that will also comprise (though it doesn't get reported
on the startup screen) Extended Colour BASIC 1.1 and Colour BASIC 1.3.
Phew.

But it does let you piece together any combination you want.  If you
want to explicitly inhibit Disk BASIC, "-nodos" will do that, to inhibit
Extended BASIC, "-noextbas".  To specify a lower versioned Colour BASIC
ROM than what it can find, something like "-bas bas11".

It's all designed to be pretty flexible so you can configure whatever
machine you want by name in the config file, to accomodate all the
different combinations of functionality, RAM, etc. that were available.

And in working through all this, I've just noticed a bug such that
"-nodos" in the config file affects the default, where it should only
affect the machine being configured.  Must fix that...

Anyway, hope this all makes sense, and helps you get it running the way
you want!

..ciaran