[Coco] SuperComm and DW4 virtual modems

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 21:46:28 EST 2013

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
> On 03/02/2013 07:51 PM, Joel Ewy wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'm having trouble getting supercomm to
>> communicate over DW4's virtual modem.  ...
>> JCE
>>
> Ok, I did get it to work by booting the server disk image that has the
> drivers and descriptors in the boot file.  What might I be doing wrong when
> I load the driver and descriptors after the system is booted?  Trying to
> load a driver and descriptors after the system is booted?

Doh,but great!  ignore most of my other email then :)  I am really not
sure about loading the drivers and modules and whatnot, thats why I
figured using the stock disk would be best.  One of the OS9 gurus here
can probably shed light on that though.

> Also, I'm having trouble with the telnet client.  It says, e.g: "onnected to
> sq1bbs.com:23ERROR #208" and quits to the shell.  Are we getting some
> characters that are causing telnet to bomb out?

Probably, telnet protocol can be a little strange and the processing
in our telnet client is not complete.  Make sure you have telnet from
a recent disk image, Boisy patched up several bugs recently.  I
suspect the current version would get through what that error.

> What I'd ultimately like to do is use telnet (or supercomm if I could figure
> out a way to make it do this) to connect to Ubuntu and run a text-mode web
> browser.

If you're going to want full screen control, arrow keys and such, you
probably want to use supercomm.  It provides vt100 emulation pretty
well.  If you use the telnet client then you'll have to teach your
linux box how to speak OS9 screen controls and that probably isn't
very easy.

Good luck!  What you want to do is quite doable but will probably take
a little experimenting.