[Coco] SuperComm and DW4 virtual modems

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Mar 2 22:49:14 EST 2013

On 03/02/2013 08:46 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
>> On 03/02/2013 07:51 PM, Joel Ewy wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'm having trouble getting supercomm to
>>> communicate over DW4's virtual modem.  ...
>>> JCE
>>>
>> Ok, I did get it to work by booting the server disk image that has the
>> drivers and descriptors in the boot file.  What might I be doing wrong when
>> I load the driver and descriptors after the system is booted?  Trying to
>> load a driver and descriptors after the system is booted?
>>
> Doh,but great!  ignore most of my other email then :)  I am really not
> sure about loading the drivers and modules and whatnot, thats why I
> figured using the stock disk would be best.  One of the OS9 gurus here
> can probably shed light on that though.
>
>> Also, I'm having trouble with the telnet client.  It says, e.g: "onnected to
>> sq1bbs.com:23ERROR #208" and quits to the shell.  Are we getting some
>> characters that are causing telnet to bomb out?
>>
> Probably, telnet protocol can be a little strange and the processing
> in our telnet client is not complete.  Make sure you have telnet from
> a recent disk image, Boisy patched up several bugs recently.  I
> suspect the current version would get through what that error.
>

>> What I'd ultimately like to do is use telnet (or supercomm if I could figure
>> out a way to make it do this) to connect to Ubuntu and run a text-mode web
>> browser.
>>
> If you're going to want full screen control, arrow keys and such, you
> probably want to use supercomm.  It provides vt100 emulation pretty
> well.  If you use the telnet client then you'll have to teach your
> linux box how to speak OS9 screen controls and that probably isn't
> very easy.
>
> Good luck!  What you want to do is quite doable but will probably take
> a little experimenting.
Thanks, Aaron.  I've got it working more or less.  SuperComm isn't doing
a stellar job of replicating what I see in an xterm with elinks or
links2 or w3m, but it is putting something reasonable up on the screen.
I think what you said about VT100 emulation might be the clue I need.
SuperComm calls it ANSI, but maybe that means something different to
SuperComm than it does to Ubuntu.  I think I'm going to try setting
term=vt100 and see if that gets better results.  It's also interesting
to try to figure out what keys to use on the CoCo 3's keyboard to do
what I want it to do.

JCE