[Coco] Retrochallenge -- Micro-C for CoCo

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Jul 31 13:42:58 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 01:21:28PM -0400, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013, John W. Linville wrote:
>
> >Greetings,
> >
> >My Retrochallenge project over the past month has been about adapting
> >the Dunfield Micro-C/6809 compiler to build code to run on the CoCo.
> >The end of the month brings the end of the competition.  So, I've
> >posted a little wrap-up post here:
> >
> >	http://retrotinker.blogspot.com/2013/07/rc-2013-sc-wrap-up.html
>
> I was of the impression that his development tools were no longer
> being sold or distributed.  Where would one legally find a copy of
> the 6809 compiler?  Assuming that's possible, did you modify the
> source code to achieve your goal?  Not entirely clear from a read of
> your blog (or perhaps I'm just being dense).

He has a package available for free download.  There are links to it
in a couple of the blog posts.

I don't have source code for the compiler itself, so there are no
changes to that.  Trust me, if I had source to the compiler then I
wouldn't be running it under DOS!  :-)

There are, of course, some changes/additions to the library and
startup code to enable building CoCo-compatible binaries.  It is hard
to balance detail with readability in a blog post, but there are some
descriptions in the various posts about startup code modifications,
support for building interupt handlers, etc.  If you want more detail
then you'll probably have to wait until I can scrape together something
to release.

John