[Coco] Retrochallenge -- Micro-C for CoCo

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 14:24:23 EDT 2013

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013, John W. Linville wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 01:21:28PM -0400, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013, John W. Linville wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> My Retrochallenge project over the past month has been about adapting
>>> the Dunfield Micro-C/6809 compiler to build code to run on the CoCo.
>>> The end of the month brings the end of the competition.  So, I've
>>> posted a little wrap-up post here:
>>>
>>> 	http://retrotinker.blogspot.com/2013/07/rc-2013-sc-wrap-up.html
>>
>> I was of the impression that his development tools were no longer
>> being sold or distributed.  Where would one legally find a copy of
>> the 6809 compiler?  Assuming that's possible, did you modify the
>> source code to achieve your goal?  Not entirely clear from a read of
>> your blog (or perhaps I'm just being dense).
>
> He has a package available for free download.  There are links to it
> in a couple of the blog posts.

Ok, thanks.

> I don't have source code for the compiler itself, so there are no
> changes to that.  Trust me, if I had source to the compiler then I
> wouldn't be running it under DOS!  :-)

Might not hurt to ask him about it in a private e-mail.  Just have your
flame-proof suit on when opening the reply.  Judging from his posts on
classiccomp mailing list he can be - shall we say - quick to take offense.

> There are, of course, some changes/additions to the library and
> startup code to enable building CoCo-compatible binaries.  It is hard
> to balance detail with readability in a blog post, but there are some
> descriptions in the various posts about startup code modifications,
> support for building interupt handlers, etc.

Yes, I understand.  There's a temporal flow aspect to blogs that I keep
overlooking.  After going back and reading all the run-up, it's much
clearer.

> If you want more detail
> then you'll probably have to wait until I can scrape together something
> to release.

No hurry, I was mostly curious.  Take you time.  Looks like nice work!

Steve