[Coco] make case sensitive?

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 10:05:54 EDT 2013

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013, Bob Devries wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Q: Is MAKE (linux/CygWin, etc) case sensitive?
>
> Does Make look for Makefile and reject makefile?
> Or is that implementation dependant?

Cannot speak for Cygwin, since it's somewhat beholden to Windows' lack of
case sensitivity, but GNU make on Linux and Unix prefers 'Makefile' and
falls back to 'makefile' if the former isn't found.  I don't know if this
behavior is shared by commercial Unix OEM 'make' tools, but most of these
are so brain-dead in other respects that no one in their right mind would
use them.

Steve