[Coco] make case sensitive?

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 12:17:41 EDT 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2013, Bob Devries wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Q: Is MAKE (linux/CygWin, etc) case sensitive?
>>
>> Does Make look for Makefile and reject makefile?
>> Or is that implementation dependant?
>

> Cannot speak for Cygwin, since it's somewhat beholden to Windows' lack of
> case sensitivity, but GNU make on Linux and Unix prefers 'Makefile' and
> falls back to 'makefile' if the former isn't found.  I don't know if this
> behavior is shared by commercial Unix OEM 'make' tools, but most of these
> are so brain-dead in other respects that no one in their right mind would
> use them.

I am pretty sure Cygwin uses GNU Make, anyway simply typing "make -v"
is enough to tell. I think matching file names on Windows (even in
Mingw or Cygwin) is case insensitive, so it would not matter in any
case.

Using Makefile or makefile is not a problem for make itself, since as
Steven has explained it looks for both. However if the makefile
includes other makefiles using e.g. "include ../makefile" then this
will break on case-sensitive systems (Linux). I had to correct this a
couple of places to get more things to build, probably stuff that
built fine for some developer on Windows.

Tormod