[Coco] NitrOS-9 new snapshot build [WAS: Setting up the /IH descriptor]

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 12:24:10 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 11 July 2013 02:55:23 Tormod Volden did opine:
>> If you don't have commit access, or want to have it peer reviewed
>> before committing, please post a patch to the bug or discussion
>> tracker on the nitros9 sourceforge site. BTW, forget about cvs, it is
>> all hg now. The old cvs repo is still there for historical purposes
>> but is not being updated.
>
> My username & pw for cvs commit access didn't make the transition to hg.

Hi Gene,

The (sourceforge) username and password is the same. I'll send you
private e-mail to help you sort out your credentials setup, it's all
about the .hg/hgrc.

> Messages asking for help in that regard have not been even acknowledged.

A lot of messages on this list... There is documentation on the
sourceforge site but it is not easy to navigate.

> Folks who have known me for the last 25 years, also know my code Just
> Works(TM). Mark has even been shipping one of my programs on his
> distribution disks for quite a while. This code works, I've been doing
> dsave backups over the old backup with it for about 3 years now, between 2
> 1Gb drives.

I have no doubts about your coding skills. But personally I have no
idea about OS-9 or nitros9, so I'll leave that to someone else to
commit. In fact I only have a Dragon 32 and never saw a disk drive nor
a Coco :) I got commit access more by accident and am only fixing up
build issues. I needed toolshed for my own use and got into
development of it, and it makes sense to test toolshed by building
nitros9. I soon discovered a lot of breakage in the nitros9 build,
many complaints on this list, and lack of documentation so here I am
fixing up nitros9 without using it :)

> It needs to go in the repo but without commit access it is not going to
> happen.  I see that choice as the responsibility of someone who has commit
> access, and knows how to do the merge.  hg is still a bit of a puzzle to
> me.  Its there, free for the downloading, on my site.  It fixes a bug that
> has been there since os9 level 1, version 1.0.0.  That version BTW is where
> I started, on an old grey ghost I'd put 64k in.
>
> As for this patch, its just a check to see if the call to the makdir
> function returned a 218 (file exists), if so b is cleared along with the
> carry bit=no error.  It should never have been an error in the first place
> and its been breaking dsave scripts for what, 30 years?

Sounds good to me. BTW is there official documentation on how it
should behave in OS-9? On UNIX you would usually have an option to
overwrite or not.

Cheers,
Tormod