[Coco] NitrOS-9 new snapshot build [WAS: Setting up the /IH descriptor]

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jul 11 03:17:16 EDT 2013

On Thursday 11 July 2013 02:55:23 Tormod Volden did opine:

> >> This issue, which I later found that other people also have mentioned
> >> on the list, was due to a bug in the os9 dsave utility, I have
> >> modified the code to not use dsave.
> >>
> >> It was not related to the "mkdir dsks" bug but I have fixed that also
> >> now.
> >
> > Tormod, If you are referring to dsave bailing out when mkdir returns a
> > 218,
>
> Nope, I was referring to the recursion that you mentioned here:
> http://five.pairlist.net/pipermail/coco/2013-June/069056.html
>
> > I fixed that in mkdir a good 2 or 3 years ago.  Get the fixed one from
> > my site in the sig.  Since that fix has not to my knowledge, been
> > incorporated
>
> I believe you are talking about the "makdir" 6809 binary in os9. No,
> that one is not used during cross-building. I was talking about the
> "os9" command from toolshed, which is run on the host computer.
>
> > into the nitros9 repo, I would certainly appreciate it if it was.  As
> > is, the broken mkdir gets replaced with every new pull of nitros9
> > regardless of the choice of cvs or hg.  Please put it into the repo
> > so it propagates out to everyone and be done with it.
>
> If you don't have commit access, or want to have it peer reviewed
> before committing, please post a patch to the bug or discussion
> tracker on the nitros9 sourceforge site. BTW, forget about cvs, it is
> all hg now. The old cvs repo is still there for historical purposes
> but is not being updated.

My username & pw for cvs commit access didn't make the transition to hg.

Messages asking for help in that regard have not been even acknowledged.

Folks who have known me for the last 25 years, also know my code Just
Works(TM). Mark has even been shipping one of my programs on his
distribution disks for quite a while. This code works, I've been doing
dsave backups over the old backup with it for about 3 years now, between 2
1Gb drives.

It needs to go in the repo but without commit access it is not going to
happen.  I see that choice as the responsibility of someone who has commit
access, and knows how to do the merge.  hg is still a bit of a puzzle to
me.  Its there, free for the downloading, on my site.  It fixes a bug that
has been there since os9 level 1, version 1.0.0.  That version BTW is where
I started, on an old grey ghost I'd put 64k in.

As for this patch, its just a check to see if the call to the makdir
function returned a 218 (file exists), if so b is cleared along with the
carry bit=no error.  It should never have been an error in the first place
and its been breaking dsave scripts for what, 30 years?