[Coco] NitrOS-9 new snapshot build [WAS: Setting up the /IH descriptor]

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jul 11 13:23:10 EDT 2013

On Thursday 11 July 2013 13:18:34 Tormod Volden did opine:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 July 2013 02:55:23 Tormod Volden did opine:
> >> If you don't have commit access, or want to have it peer reviewed
> >> before committing, please post a patch to the bug or discussion
> >> tracker on the nitros9 sourceforge site. BTW, forget about cvs, it is
> >> all hg now. The old cvs repo is still there for historical purposes
> >> but is not being updated.
> >
> > My username & pw for cvs commit access didn't make the transition to
> > hg.
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> The (sourceforge) username and password is the same. I'll send you
> private e-mail to help you sort out your credentials setup, it's all
> about the .hg/hgrc.

Which mine atm contain no references to either of the 3 env vars I need to
set, as posted in the previous msg.

I'll apologize for my shortness here, but TBT its damned frustrating.

> > Messages asking for help in that regard have not been even
> > acknowledged.
>
> A lot of messages on this list... There is documentation on the
> sourceforge site but it is not easy to navigate.

Maybe on sourceforge if you can find the right branch of it, but the
nitros9.org link isn't working, so posting it wasn't helpful.

> > Folks who have known me for the last 25 years, also know my code Just
> > Works(TM). Mark has even been shipping one of my programs on his
> > distribution disks for quite a while. This code works, I've been doing
> > dsave backups over the old backup with it for about 3 years now,
> > between 2 1Gb drives.
>
> I have no doubts about your coding skills. But personally I have no
> idea about OS-9 or nitros9, so I'll leave that to someone else to
> commit. In fact I only have a Dragon 32 and never saw a disk drive nor
> a Coco :) I got commit access more by accident and am only fixing up
> build issues. I needed toolshed for my own use and got into
> development of it, and it makes sense to test toolshed by building
> nitros9. I soon discovered a lot of breakage in the nitros9 build,
> many complaints on this list, and lack of documentation so here I am
> fixing up nitros9 without using it :)
>
> > It needs to go in the repo but without commit access it is not going
> > to happen.  I see that choice as the responsibility of someone who
> > has commit access, and knows how to do the merge.  hg is still a bit
> > of a puzzle to me.  Its there, free for the downloading, on my site.
> > It fixes a bug that has been there since os9 level 1, version 1.0.0.
> > That version BTW is where I started, on an old grey ghost I'd put 64k
> > in.
> >
> > As for this patch, its just a check to see if the call to the makdir
> > function returned a 218 (file exists), if so b is cleared along with
> > the carry bit=no error.  It should never have been an error in the
> > first place and its been breaking dsave scripts for what, 30 years?
>
> Sounds good to me. BTW is there official documentation on how it
> should behave in OS-9? On UNIX you would usually have an option to
> overwrite or not.

I believe dsave has that ability, as I've been using it, but it doesn't
apply to directories, hence the patched makdir.