[Coco] vacant ramblings....

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 11:10:37 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11 2013, Simon Jonassen wrote:

Hey guys !

> anyone ever tried interfacing a commodore c64 drive (1541 II etc) with the
> coco via the serial port ?

As I can recall a straight through serial connection between the CoCo and a
Commodore peripheral (drive, printer) is not possible as their interfaces
are based on two separate standards: RS232 for the CoCo and IEEE-488 on the
Commodore, level and format translation hardware will be needed to hook
those two together.

Since on the Commodore realm there are active (earlier as passive) cables
developed to connect the serial device to a Intel PC via the *parallel*
port... just a wild guess on my part that maybe by using a CoCo serial to
parallel adapter, there might exist the possibility to have them talk to
each other given the CoCo was running a suitable driver for the interface,
again that is only an assumption on my part.

See http://sta.c64.org/xa1541.html for what has been done to have something
of the likes of the 1541 to connect to a PC, quite a few software drivers
available for the thing :-)

-- RP