[Coco] vacant ramblings....

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 11:37:34 EDT 2013

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013, Simon Jonassen wrote:

> anyone ever tried interfacing a commodore c64 drive (1541 II etc) with the
> coco via the serial port ?

Unfortunately the timing margins for C64 "IEC" interface drives are
extremely tight, to the point where operation with a bit-banged parallel
port on a contemporary PC is iffy.  I had a hard time believing this until
Wolfgang Moser (WoMo in the C64 world) sent me a few scope trace captures
with the gory details.

I think the chances of a CoCo bit-banger being able to operate without
hardware assistance are minimal.

Steve