[Coco] MCC-216

Marty Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 16:38:52 EST 2013

Bill Loguidice <bill at ...> writes:

>That's why, for instance, the Atari Flashback 3 and 4
> went back to cheaper software emulations rather than continue developing
> the superior, but costlier, design present in the Flashback 2 and 2+.

Just to clarify, that's not what happened. The only reason the hardware and
designer changed was because their latest in a long sting of branding people
(there's been a lot of management changes over the years)
happened to license it out when another company approached them.

The Flashback brand was just a commodity to them. The firm that did the
licensing (AtGames) happens to use emulator technology for everything
they do. There was no decision of the nature you're claiming above
on Atari's part, Atari is just a licensor in the Flashback 3 & 4. It's only
interest is per the branding license and making sure the product conforms to
the branding requirements.

Likewise, we (or Curt) were not hired by Atari. When we created the Flashback
series we came to them to see about licensing the Atari brand for a console,
and then they got involved further when they decided to help fund the
development besides putting in the license.

Marty