[Coco] MCC-216

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 17:09:56 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Marty Goldberg <wgungfu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Likewise, we (or Curt) were not hired by Atari. When we created the
> Flashback
> series we came to them to see about licensing the Atari brand for a
> console,
> and then they got involved further when they decided to help fund the
> development besides putting in the license.

Just to further clarify this, It was at this point that a choice was given
to them. Either they just be an investor or if they wanted to own the
product they could do a work for hire contract with Legacy on the various
elements of the development. They did the latter with everything except the
Gizmo chip (the chip that handles the loading of the ROMs as well as
bankswitching and other interfacing from the 2600-on-a-chip), which we
retained the rights to.

It's very hard to get a product of this type (and intended for wide
distribution) off the ground without financial backing, and we chose to use
Atari as a partner in this.

--
Marty