[Coco] MCC-216

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 17:52:26 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM, Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> DriveWire is great, but ideally we still need something with full compatibility.
>> RGB-DOS/HDB-DOS/B&B etc. cannot work with all software. Emulation of an
>> FD1773 (or whatever it is) floppy controller that then turns in to SD storage
>> would still be best.
>
> FWIW, Drivewire on Gary's CoCo3FPGA does provide full compatibility
> with regular old DECB.  The CoCo does not "know" it's using DW at all.
>  Gary implemented a standard FDC/1773 for the CoCo to talk to and the
> translation of requests to DW is behind the scenes.
>
> I'd imagine the same approach could be used with the SD card.

Aaron,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the DW / CoCo3FPGA WD1773
emulation does not support disk images having unusual formats (sector
sizes other than 256 bytes, non-standard sector IDAMs, tracks with
sector counts other than 18, etc.).  This would mean many
copy-protected games still won't work.

Darren