[Coco] MCC-216

David Ladd drencor at gamepixel.net
Wed Jan 2 18:02:05 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Darren A <mechacoco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the DW / CoCo3FPGA WD1773
> emulation does not support disk images having unusual formats (sector
> sizes other than 256 bytes, non-standard sector IDAMs, tracks with
> sector counts other than 18, etc.).  This would mean many
> copy-protected games still won't work.
>
> There are other options too.  For those who still have working floppy
controllers, you can get floppy drive emulators which use SD cards to store
the images.  I found one emulator that stores the floppy disk information
in the raw track format.  So basically should be able to use a standard
5.25" floppy drive and that floppy drive emulator and do a copy protected
backup programs that were out for the CoCo.  That should get you closer to
what you are looking for I would hope.

As far as a direct cart that has a SD card on it that would work flawlessly
as a floppy drive you are correct.  You would need a chip that can emulate
the full functions of the WD1773 and a file format that can store the raw
track info for copy protected games.

Right now the only other option would be to have every known game that has
copy protection to be reverse engineered and then patched to use DSKCON
routines some how.