[Coco] Coco 2b problem: reboots when accessing the disk

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Feb 27 07:52:49 EST 2013

On Wednesday 27 February 2013 07:44:03 Jeremy Michea did opine:

> If I may interject here, am I to assume that if the 6809 chip goes bad
> on a Coco, then one can be purchased, such as at the link in a post
> above? If so is this a difficult job to replace? I don’t do soldering
> myself but there is a local game store that does repairs on older
> gaming systems and he’s pretty handy with a solder gun.

That "handy with a solder gun", would be bad on the coco's.  He'll need a
static grounded, temperature controlled soldering iron in the 25 to 75 watt
range.  These are about $130 kits if done right.  GC rebrands the Xytronix
unit, the bast of the lot IMO.  I have about $200 in mine, but it also does
hot air reworking too.

Also, when purchasing the replacement, get a decent augat 40 pin socket so
the next time if there is one, it is just an unplug and press the new one
back in operation.