[Coco] Coco 2b problem: reboots when accessing the disk

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Wed Feb 27 12:23:43 EST 2013

Jeremy, I have to somewhat disagree with Gene's reply, which I would
find quite daunting if I were in your place.  I've replaced and
socketed 6809s on a couple of occasions, and it was no big deal
requiring expensive equipment or masterly soldering technique.  (I'm
definitely a soldering novice and used a cheap Radio Shack soldering
iron.)  The key thing is that you DON'T want to attempt to salvage the
old, probably defective chip.  Getting it out intact requires a fair
amount of skill, and you run the risk of ripping traces on the
motherboard.  But destructive removal, where you clip off all the pins
close to the chip with cutting pliers as step one, and then heat each
pin stump individually until you can pull it out, is vastly easier.

Art