[Coco] Clock chips-- DS1307 today

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Dec 21 23:09:12 EST 2013

George Ramsower wrote:
>   I searched for "Smartwatch" and found a lot of stuff but nothing we could
> use on a coco until I did another search for DS1307 and found some
> interesting things on eBay for just a couple of dollars, from China.
>   Most are designed for the Arduino so....
>
>   I'm wondering if they could be used on our Cocos. I'm sure they willl need
> some address decoding and there are some old boards some of us still use
> with unused chip select line that could access these little boards.
> Otherwise, it would require another board to decode the address and access
> them, I figure. I know nothing about how to use them other than they should
> be similar in data transfer as was the old smartwatch. Maybe the old
> smartwatch drive could be modified to access the new address?
>
>   Ideas?
>
>   Here's how I found them...
>   I went to eBay and searched for DS1307. That's it.
>
> George R.

If you really want a SmartWatch, which is trademarked, you want to look for the
Dallas DS1216. That is designed to fit a 28-pin socket and has its own socket
into which a PROM or EPROM can be inserted.
With minor changes, you can remove the disk ROM from your controller, insert
this clock into the disk controller socket, plug the disk ROM into the clock
socket, and you have a real SmartWatch.
I have mine in the RS-232 PAK in place of the PAKs ROM.

A Google search suggests that this clock is still available.

Robert