[Coco] OT: Zork on ebay with $1000 BIN

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 16 23:37:48 EST 2013

On 17/12/2013 11:07 AM, Jeremy Michea wrote:

> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RARE-TRS80-Infocom-Game-BARBARIAN-ZORK-/261355164940
>
> I'm not really up on the values of non-coco TRS-80 software but $1000
> for a game that may or may not even work??? Seems crazy to me, is there
> any validity to the asking price here? It's a great game but wow!

As for the 'validity' it's worth whatever someone will pay on the day.
It's not exactly common, especially as complete and in this condition,
though even so I don't think he'll find a buyer at that price. A while
back a particular Amiga game made headlines when it went for around 300
GBP; I've got it MIB at home. A flurry of them hit eBay in the weeks after
and couldn't even raise 5 GBP.

Concerning "retro" computers; lately I've seen some pretty silly auctions,
like someone selling a host of "vintage computer power cords" in lots of
2-a-piece for circa $35 w/shipping. They were plain vanilla IEC power
cables - I've got at least dozen unused sitting out the back right now.

That said, I saw some (IIRC - used) Zork Invisiclues go for a few hundred
$$$ a few years back on eBay. I've got a handful of factory-sealed Infocom
(not Zork) Invisiclues that I picked up many years ago and after seeing
that tried to sell them for a pretty penny but didn't get any bidders.

Regards,