[Coco] Update on new Coco 3 game engine

John Kowalski sockmaster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 18:39:41 EDT 2013

on Mon Aug 19 13:55:38 EDT 2013
Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) <retrocanada76 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Do you know how to visually spot an '87 Gime ? All I've found here in
>Canada are '86. Seems to me all the KoKo's 3 are '86.
>
>Maybe I should try the american version (blue box) instead ? But any way to
>be sure just looking the photos on e-bay ?

I can't say there's one thing you can look for in photos with
certainty, but there have been some visible changes comparing early to
later manufactured CoCo 3s.

Most, (or Canadian sold?) or earlier CoCo 3s have round black feet on
the bottom of the case.  (Some of these that I've seen did have '87
GIMEs)

Late (or American?) models have square rubber feet on the bottom of
the case.  (I only have one American CoCo3, so not much data to
extrapolate from)

The American ones also have different labels and different looking
serial number stickers than the Canadian ones.

Apparently the word 'Tandy' on the top badge might also be bigger on
the later revisions.

It might be helpful if someday someone compiled a list of serial
numbers and what version GIME was inside.

John Kowalski / Sock Master
http://users.aei.ca/twilight/sock