[Coco] OT: background

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 16 11:16:43 EDT 2013

On 16/08/2013 1:04 PM, Wayne Campbell wrote:

> I want to provide a better background picture of my life in programming.

Always interested to hear others' background in computers, especially back
in the early days of personal computing.

Your experience pre-dates mine by about 8 years, though for a few years
before I actually laid hands on a TRS-80 Model I in 1978, my father would
take me to the computer shows and we'd both drool over the offerings that he
couldn't afford.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the opportunity to complete your computer
studies, and I can sympathise with doing the "wrong" course if you call it
that. Like you, I was stuck doing COBOL when I really wanted to tinker in
assembler and hardware - a mistake that set me back about 7 years in my career.

I think the fact that we still cling to our old 8-bit micros show that it
all meant something a little more to us than a lot of others that have
passed through the ranks of computer science and programming and now manage
other managers with little exposure to computers besides excel and email. I
never could fathom that someone could spend 4 years studying something that
they had little interest in, taking solace in knowing that after 5 years
post graduate they wouldn't have to write one more line of code.

I still cut code today and yes, there are (a lot of) times when I wish I
wasn't, but I'll never lose interest in tinkering with the 8-bit micros that
I grew up with.

Regards,