[Coco] OT: background

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 01:10:47 EDT 2013

Sorry about the excess quote in the last post. It was unexpected.

In 1994 I exchanged my CoCo3 system for a new Mac Quadra 605. I purchased a
programming language called FutureBASIC, and after that FutureBASIC II. I
ported DCom to the Mac, and it worked. I wish I still had that system. I
lost the 3.5" disk I had with all my Mac stuff. :(

What didn't work on the Mac was saving the source (or any of the other
windows contents either) to a file. I never figured out files. LOL

In 1999 I enrolled in DeVry Institute (now DeVry University, and was going
through state accreditation while I was there).

My major was CIS (Computer Information Systems). I thought I was going to
learn oop programming, networking and maybe something related to embedded
systems programming. Wrong! Middle-management of a programming
company/department, introductory programming in COBOL, C++ (console), and
the class I didn't get to take: C++ ( oop).

Because tuition went up per semester, and grants/loans ran out, I was
forced to quit with only 1.5 semesters remaining until graduation. I got
enough credits to equal an associate's degree in computer science and
$21,000 in student loan debt I am still unable to pay.

Throughout the first decade of the new millennium I tried to support myself
with helping people with their Windows installation issues (not affiliated
to MS). Most of my "customers" were as poor as me and I never made money.
Equivalence is not the same as a degree, and a ACS is not a BCS.

Since 2009 I have put my programming energy into finishing DCom, which
became unpack which is currently decode, and into getting the cocopedia
page finished.

That is my story.

Wayne