[Coco] Update on new Coco 3 game engine

Richard Goedeken Richard at fascinationsoftware.com
Wed Aug 14 00:26:53 EDT 2013

Thanks for the input Nick.  It's great to hear of your progress.

Dividing the horizontal clock by 2 is a really good idea.  Making this work on
all Coco 3s could be tricky, because of the 2 different GIME chips.  Is there
any easy way to tell them apart?  If not, I guess you have to run a timing
loop with some heuristic to figure out which one you're on.

Do you know what is the minimum audio frequency which can still give decent
sound?  I don't think there's any low-pass filter on the Coco audio output, so
it probably will develop aliasing as the sampling frequency goes down.

I agree it would be great if the Coco had at least some audio or graphics
hardware support.  The thing about Commodore was that it was really a
semiconductor company, and they sold computers to drive the chip sales.  They
had some brilliant chip designers; the guy who designed the 6581 SID went on
to later found Ensoniq, and that was the best sound chip available for many
years.  The Amiga had a "co-processor" which could be configured to
automatically set palette colors or other video things on a horizontal scan
line trigger.  I would love to have things like that on the coco.  Actually,
with VHDL and FPGA computers now (I have a Turbo Chameleon 64) it's possible
for a hobbyist to make such hardware mash-ups.  But I love to work on the real
machines too.

Richard