[Coco] Update on new Coco 3 game engine

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Tue Aug 13 15:42:12 EDT 2013

Congratulations Richard. You've nailed it.

Everything you said is totally correct and your logic and understanding
of the CoCo's capabilities and limitations is spot on.

I am up to the same exact point with my Popstar Pilot game engine. And
you're absolutely right about the challenges you clearly outlined.

I will soon be posting a new chapter about this very topic on my blog
since I too have just created the sound routine which is being triggered
off the FIRQ with interrupts sourced from the TIMER which is itself
derived from the 15.734Khz clock and divided by 2 to give a maximum
audio fidelity of 7.867Khz.

I now need to run optimizations on my code to make it chew up the least
amount of cpu cycles while still managing the split screen horizontal
scrolling and 2 channel sound sample playback.

If the CoCo only had a sound chip built in as standard!   :)

I look forward to your upcoming game whatever that may end up being.

Nick Marentes