[Coco] Wolfenstein 3-D on a 4.77mhz 8088? So, 6809 port, anyone?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 24 19:27:15 EDT 2013

On 24/04/2013 7:40 PM, Nick Marentes wrote:

> I think the key here is "remake" rather than "port".

Definitely.

> Writing it to suit the CoCo-X (if it ever appears) will not happen for such
> a small user base.

Regardless, it would be an interesting exercise and would also serve to
advertise the capabilities of the "Coco-X".

We had Doom running on a DE1/2 a few years back as a demonstration for a
client, executing on a RISC soft-core processor - and it was perfectly
playable! I know it's not a 6809, but one does wonder whether a 6809-like
core - even if it is a RISC core under the hood doing (hardware) emulation
of a 6809 - could be cranked up fast enough to run something like this is an
FPGA?!?

On that note: although it would appear that Coco-X will fall far short of
its goal, I still don't believe the concept is dead. Hopefully some day in
the future Gary or someone else will have another go in some form or another.

Regards,