[Coco] No more dream ports (Was:Wolfenstein 3-D on a 4.77mhz 8088? So, 6809 port, anyone?)

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Wed Apr 24 22:24:22 EDT 2013

Good Call Nick.  It's so nice to hear another programmer chiming in that
knows limits of the CoCo and what modern computers have to offer under
the hood.

Now it's time for my rant....  (But not directed at you Nick)

I see messages like this where someone wants to port a modern web
browser or some game designed for a system with a 3-d graphics processor
to a decades old coco.  Stuff that was only design now because we have
the hardware to support it.

A bit mapped graphics screen of the CoCo is easy to understand and
program for.  But it's bear to try any fast moving (scrolling)
graphics.  The other systems (of the CoCo days) like NES, SNES, Genesis,
Atari and C-64 have character bases screen maps that use less memory and
built-in hardware to scroll or update the screen. All of these systems
had hardware sound generators.  Some even had a second CPU just to run
the sound system.

Now, the CoCo only has one CPU.  Yes, a good 8-Bit CPU.  But the Sega
Genesis had 68000 (16-bit) for the main CPU with a Z-80 to run the sound
system.  Add in hardware graphics system with DMA and Sprites and you
can see why the CoCo was not up to doing these types of fast scrolling
games.

The goal of a CoCo programmer should be to make a game that plays within
the limits of the hardware.  There are a lot of good games that could
done and not show off the limits of the CoCo.

Marty's Nightmare is one game type that works well in the limits of the
CoCo 3's hardware.  It has smooth vertical scrolling used the hardware
to change the address of the CoCo 3's screen memory. In other words, it
took almost no work to scroll the screen since you did not need to move
the whole game image around in memory. It would not be hard to create
other fun playing games using this vertical scrolling technique.

Here is a link to a video of Marty's Nightmare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cvun0UZDfE
(Skip about 1/2 in to see the game in action.)

This smooth vertical scrolling technique is not limited too just two
screens high.  It would be very easy to do a continuous vertical
scrolling shooting game like Xevious or 1942.

Yes, the CoCo was a fun little computer and the 6809 is still my
favorite CPU to code for.  I'm sure you will agree with me that it's
time to work what can be done (and fun), not something to just showoff
how great your purchase was 30 years ago.

Steve