[Coco] Wolfenstein 3-D on a 4.77mhz 8088? So, 6809 port, anyone?

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Wed Apr 24 05:40:17 EDT 2013

I think a port of the Wolfenstein source code  is pointless.

You can see how slow it runs on a 4.77Mhz PC so it will run even slower
on a 1.79Mhz 6809.

I think the key here is "remake" rather than "port".

If a Wolfenstein 3D is custom written for the CoCo using new algorithyms
tailored for the CoCo, then you may get closer to the 4.77Mhz PC.

Substitute Sock Master's "Gloom" engine will be faster than a direct
port of the existing Wolf3d code which was written for a faster than
4.77Mhz processor.

Even then, the texture mapping will be a big speed drain.

My Gate Crasher utilized the "Gloom" engine concepts at a lower res but
it still pales to Wolf 3D.

Writing it to suit the CoCo-X (if it ever appears) will not happen for
such a small user base.

Nick