[Coco] Amusing computer story only slightly off topic

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Sep 11 11:40:42 EDT 2012

On Tuesday 11 September 2012 11:27:58 Robert Gault did opine:

> In the last two days I've been having mouse pointer freezes on my PC.
> Sometimes the mouse would recover but at least one time required a PC
> reboot because the PC became unusable. The cause of the problem was
> obscure but seemed related to either the browser or MESS software.
>
> This morning I finally disassembled the Logitech laser wheel mouse and
> immediately the source problem became apparent. The mouse is essentially
> a completely sealed unit except for the wheel (on the top side of the
> mouse) which can also serve as a button. A quarter inch pad of dust had
> built up under the wheel and was causing inadvertent random closure of
> the middle "button" switch even when the wheel was not being used.
>
> Anyone remember what happens on a Coco when you inadvertently place a
> heavy object on the joystick so that a button gets pushed. The Coco
> will freeze up. :)
>
> Now, how many of you have purchased a new mouse when all you had to do
> was clean it?

I can nearly match that Robert.  My logitech optical wireless mouse kept
getting slower and slower until I was needing a 2 foot by 2 foot pad to run
it.  Then I also noticed that one of the little glued on polycarbonate feet
sliders was laying on the desk, having come off the mouse.  For grins, I
put about 3 teeny little tabs of scotch magic tape in its place.  Faster
mouse!  So now I have a mouse with 3 of its missing feet pads replaced
about 4 layers of scotch tape, which raises its 'flying height' back toward
the original, and the pointer speed is once again usable.

So if your optical mouse is getting slow, check & see how many feet it has
left.  I don't use a "mouse" pad here, the optical types seem to work just
as well on the gray formica table surface.  I also took the side buttons
out of it years ago.