[Coco] Amusing computer story only slightly off topic

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Sep 11 09:56:10 EDT 2012

In the last two days I've been having mouse pointer freezes on my PC. Sometimes
the mouse would recover but at least one time required a PC reboot because the
PC became unusable. The cause of the problem was obscure but seemed related to
either the browser or MESS software.

This morning I finally disassembled the Logitech laser wheel mouse and
immediately the source problem became apparent. The mouse is essentially a
completely sealed unit except for the wheel (on the top side of the mouse) which
can also serve as a button. A quarter inch pad of dust had built up under the
wheel and was causing inadvertent random closure of the middle "button" switch
even when the wheel was not being used.

Anyone remember what happens on a Coco when you inadvertently place a heavy
object on the joystick so that a button gets pushed. The Coco will freeze up. :)

Now, how many of you have purchased a new mouse when all you had to do was clean it?