[Coco] cowin vs cogrf question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 17 19:53:54 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 17 October 2012 19:44:34 Bill Pierce did opine:

> It seems the mouse is missing only in Ed, so I assume Ed is using some
> MV functions as the arrow keys don't work either. I tried Ultimuse,
> which doesn't require MV and the mouse works fine. The arrow keys are
> woking in my Sound Chaser. Since Ed is my editor of choice at the
> moment, I'll probably go back to cowin.
>
> Also, I noticed on a fresh boot, on 2 different installations of VCC,
> both boots are reporting $EC blocks of mem, the one with cogrf, has
> only 50 modules in it's boot. The one with cowin has 57 modules in it's
> boot. This makes the cowin boot using less memory? Or jus coincidence
> that the modules fell in place on the right boundries? Something else I
> notice, that I hadn't noticed before. The cowin boot doesn't have sysgo
> in memory. The cogrf boot does. The cowin boot is a Boisy/Becker boot,
> the other is pretty much a standard Emu boot. Does the Boisy/Beckker
> boot not use sysgo?

Probably, but sysgo does NOT have to be in the boot file, it can live on
the root dir of /dd just as well and doesn't take up any memory space after
the boot is finished that way.

> Also, VCC gives the option of setting the Coco to 8 megs of memory.
> According to mfree NitrOS9 only sees 2 meg. Is this just a limit of
> mfree or does Nitro need something patched to use the 8 meg.

mfree is likely fine.  The limit in memory for nitros9, assuming you have
the disto 2 meg hardware, is the byte sized block count, meaning 256 8192
byte blocks of memory, which in round figures is 2 megs. VCC may have a
slightly bigger block map, 2 more bits in that register would be equ to 8
mags.