[Coco] cowin vs cogrf question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 17 19:43:01 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 17 October 2012 19:21:22 Retro Canada did opine:

> shouldn't the mouse be driven by the joydrv_6551m ? I don't have
> one....yet!

joydrv_6551m is for a microsoft serial mouse, but I believe it has been
broken for years.  joydrv_6551L OTOH I wrote back in 2008 originally, and
that supports either a cheap logitech 'DeXxa' serial mouse, or a microsoft
mouse that is contemporary to the logitech.  It inits itself in the M$
mode, but on detecting a MMB event from a logitech mouse, it sets itself up
to handle the logitech mode until the next reboot.  The MMB packet is the
only diff between those mice families.

So basically we only need 2 of the many choices, joydrv_joy.sb for a coco
joystick, and I have no clue if it actually works with any of the rs mice,
or joydrv_6551L.sb, which works with a serial port such as the rs-232 pack,
or in my case a piggy backed dual chipped rs-232 pack that can also be used
for a 2nd hardware serial port.  I think you will have to locate the
hardware address of the port, and use xmode to make the module match that
and verify it since that descriptor in the repo is coded for my extra ports
address, $FF6C iirc, but my hand isn't anywhere near the good book on that
point.  IRQS says $FF6D, which would be the stats register, so $FF6C is
correct, for MY hardware. YMMV as always.

[...]

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.
Therefore, a man without a woman is like a bicycle without a fish.