[Coco] Tutorial on Telnet/inetd on Coco3 DW4 (is there one?)

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 00:28:53 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> But I just did a dw p s in the gui and I have to ask, what is the ZTerm and
> a bunch of /Z0-Z15 devices for?  Did I get stoned and miss the announcement
> or ??

/Zx are virtual window devices.  Just as /Nx provide virtual serial
channels that map to various things on the server, the /Z devices map
to windows on the server.

i.e:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C-QvdX2bNQ

That video was before the decision to separate window channels from
serial channels, so you'll see me using /Nx there.  After some real
world use we found that because the device descriptors for window
devices are quite different from serial ports, and because the
expected server behavior is very different, it was best to make them
unique right from the moment they are initialized.

/ZTerm is the graphical window equivalent of the /NTerm, which is used
when you put OS9's console on a virtual channel or window.  This
allows you to forego loading some big fat modules needed to drive the
CoCo's display and keyboard and have a "headless" coco with an
extraordinary amount of free ram in the system page.