[Coco] Tutorial on Telnet/inetd on Coco3 DW4 (is there one?)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 11 22:28:46 EDT 2012

On Thursday 11 October 2012 22:22:22 Aaron Wolfe did opine:

> > So, only Aaron can answer this question:  Does inetd ever close that
> > path to /sys/inetd.conf?  Seems like it should once it has read it,
> > but, even with it redirected to another screen, it does have an open
> > path to /DD according to proc.
> >
> > If it does hold it open, why?  And if "kill"ed, does it clean up befor
>
> Well, actually Boisy wrote inetd so I am not entirely sure but the code
> is in nitros9 so we can take a look.  I know that inetd does some
> fairly fancy manipulation of io handles and it may just be confusing
> something, or it may really keep inetd.conf open.
>
> It has 2 phases, the first is to read the file and send listen requests
> to DW so the server knows to routes incoming connections to it.  The
> second phase listens for connection announcements from the server,
> forks for each, opens a new virtual xhannel, attaches to the incoming
> connection, maps its own stdin and stdout to that new channel, and
> execs the command specified in inetd.conf.  so it may be holding
> inetd.conf open for use in the second phase, dunno.

I think I got something that works for telnet.

But I just did a dw p s in the gui and I have to ask, what is the ZTerm and
a bunch of /Z0-Z15 devices for?  Did I get stoned and miss the announcement
or ??

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Most seminars have a happy ending.  Everyone's glad when they're over.