[Coco] regrets

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu May 17 23:03:15 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Frank Pittel <fwp at deepthought.com> wrote:
> While I'm not officially management I do know for a fact that they have no
> objection and will at a personal level do what's in their ability to assist
> in making the web feed a success. Keep in mind the internet bandwidth is
> provided as a courtesy by the hotel and they make no promises about throughput
> or latency and I would bet that outbound bandwidth is going to be slow. If
> those watching and casting can work with those limitations it won't be a
> problem.

The plan is to be very efficient with the limited resources available
and to avoid 'hogging' the bandwidth.
I have servers in a hosting facility with essentially unlimited
bandwidth.  By sending only a single stream from the hotel to my
equipment, I can then provide it to hundreds of viewers using my own
connection and without using a single byte more of the hotel's
bandwidth.  Last year I experimented with something similar and the
results were pretty good.

> One thing to consider is that in the past Boisy has voiced objections based on
> his concern that it will cause people to watch the stream and not actually go
> to the fest. I hope that the streaming serves to increase interest in the fest
> and causes more people to go rather then serve as a way for people to "attend"
> without actually going! Remember the fest is supported by people going,
> interacting, buying product from vendors and the auctions and this means being there!

Yes, I know there mixed feelings about the live feed and I don't want
to upset anybody, especially somebody like Boisy who not only attends
but has supported the fest and the community for so many years.  I
think it could increase attendance by raising interest as well, but
what do I know.  I know some people who want to be there simply can't,
and would be if there was any way.  Those guys are the reason I like
to do it.

There is also potential to turn an internet presence into a revenue
source for the fest.  If there is a way for people to donate money to
the club, perhaps paypal or something like that, I could put that
information right in the feed.  You could also include internet folks
in things like the auction (or a separate auction, or... ?).   I would
not be surprised at all if there are a lot of potential supporters who
just can't make it there physically.   I can take of any technical
details to implement anything like that, if its something the club
wants.