[Coco] Looking for "C" utils

Wed Mar 7 22:57:43 EST 2012

Hi,

If this was football season I would say "Punt".

I banged hard many times on my first Hard Drive to get it to spin, a Seagate
one that I had to drive over the hill to get formatted with 256 byte
sectors.

With 256 Byte sectors no data recovery company will help you.

Unless you get very luckily you may be dead in the water with no rescue
possible.

I have searched in vain for "rcr".

If and only if you have all the source and libs (Source for unusual ones)
then asking the previous owner for help might unearth "rcr".

Otherwise, go onto another task. IMHO

But then:

==================================

Floor spin it
pjrobertz at ...7th Feb 2008

Seagate drives like this one had a common problem Seagate tech support
called "a stiction problem". The spindle would get stuck, possibly because
the lubricant used would coagulate. All you had to do to correct this was
disconnect the drive from its cables, and put it on the floor, PCB side up,
and give it a strong flick of the wrist. Usually spinning it around created
enough centrifugal force to get the platters spinning again.

When I bought used MFM and RLL hard drives, I'd pay less for one which had
circular scratches on the top of the case, since I suspected they had to be
revived by the floor spin method.

?

SHF